Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Unplugged

My internet connection failed for more than 48 hours till now.

Out of the blues, it suddenly died, then began my attempt for reconnection and re-booting the computer times and again, then called the ISP x number of times, each tech had his/her only way of saying things, but nothing helps. Finally I set up an appointment for an onsite repair, which is 4 days down the road.

I vaguely am aware that I am online a lot of time. So, now unwittingly I went thru a partial unplugged experience. I heard of a Global Unplugged Experiement done last year among the universities, that the participants would refrain from using any media (internet, phone, newspaper, music, TV, any printed material including books ... etc).

For the last 48 hours, there is nothings to do with the internet, I found myself with time to read books, sleep earlier, house cleaning, shopping, yes I have been thinking of getting a new set of bowls for quite sometime, and even spent more time for supper. In a way, it is going back to pen-and-ink days, Sound like Back to Stone Age, don't I?

When I was about to go to the public libray to renew my borrowed books, (I usually would do the renewing online,) I met a cable TV repair man right out side my apartment door. I asked him about any disruption, and in 10 seconds he fixed my pain, my cable was plugged into a wrong socket!

I am back online, Hip Hip Hoorray.

Habits formed without our earnest attention, it just slowly creeps up on you. Are you not addicted to your own habits? The worst kind is your own way of thinking. We all think in a certain way without giving it a thought. That is the true self, isn't it? We are too addicted to being ourselves, and we cling onto our own senses and judgment and would even defend ourselves ferociously.

Why don't you try a little unplugged experience yourself. Take a 24 hour leave from the internet or TV could be a start. Dare to discover a little bit more about your true nature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home